Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Module 9

Second Life has alot of possibilities though I'm unsure whether I would utilise it properly in the classroom. It has merit with regards to adding dimensions to learning. For example, if you teach History you can get students to wander through Ancient Egypt or Colonial Australia. My question here is that if it doesn't exist can you create it? My learning area is PDHPE so could I potentially get students to design a gym or sports stadium? I like the idea of having online tutorials. Again, the main difference with doing it on Second Life as opposed to just posting links to documents on a blog would be that another dimension is added, you know, students walking into a virtual library, sitting in a virtual classroom, etc. It seems like it would be alot of work to set something like that up and monitor it properly...
I don't know how much merit Facebook or Twitter would have on an educational level. But having said that I did stumble upon the blog of a PE teacher in Victoria and he set up a Facebook page for one of his senior subjects that was accessible not only to his students but to anyone studying that subject. He'd posted a heap of resources and study notes on there. A good idea in theory but I'm sure I read in the CEO Sydney's Staff Use of Social Media Policy. that this was a no go.
Linkedin - from what I know about this it would be more useful to us as educators, not our students. If I was wanting to get in touch with other teachers in my subject area I guess this could be of use...

No comments:

Post a Comment